Monday, July 6, 2020

Thermaphilic compost pile

I FINALLY figured out what to do for compost.  I had a couple piles of horse manure, wood chips, and sterile compost.  The last wood chip delivery (thank you, ChipDrop.com) came with stumps.  So it took 4 separate days of 2-3 hours work with my son and his friend, but we have merged everything in layers, with sticks strewn about each layer for aeration.  Each layer was also thoroughly watered while building.  I have a perforated pipe going down through the middle and coming out the side (for a updraft effect) to oxygenate the pile, and I have a soaker hose wound throughout to add moisture when it gets to hot or dry.  Now I just need the moisture and temperature meter that my husband is programming for me using Arduino.



It's placed perfectly for my next delivery of horse manure, but not so good for big heavy trucks to deliver chips.  Still working on the firmed-up drivable path (which has become my top priority).  Still though, I'm taking advantage of the slope.  If I have to turn the pile, I can turn it downhill to reduce labor.  And delivering it to places in my yard is mostly downhill.  It's currently sitting on a spot that will become a drivable path to the back patio, but it'll move soon enough.  I might even re-use the wood stumps to make the retaining wall for the terrace that will become that path.

Update 7/4/2020: We had friends come over and they said they could see heat waves coming out of the air pipe!  Cool!

Update 7/7/2020:  I put wood chips down on the exposed soil to prevent people walking and slipping on it.  But look how easy it was to unload a load of horse poop!!  Awesome.  I used to hate my slope, but now I leverage it.

No comments:

Post a Comment