Monday, July 6, 2020

Building a tool holder

Our garage is cluttered.  It's a pain in the arse (and laborious) to bring my tools from the garage to the back of the house and then back uphill to the garage, anyway.  I don't think anyone would steal what I have, so it's not essential to lock them up.  Even if I had to, I could put the tool holder on wheels and roll it into my office/lab.

I found some cool pics of ideas on Pinterest (thank you, Pinterest!!).




So, I took apart and old, lumbering, too big, too heavy workbench that the previous home owner built.  He used SO MANY materials!  I harvested enough for 2 or 3 tool holders.  

I started playing with the pieces like LEGOs, and I bought some strong hogwire, and came up with a loose design that made it possible to modify on the way without having to undo work.  I should note that I counted my long-handled tools (16) and my short-handled tools (9) before deciding how big to cut the hogwire.  I'll need to cut a piece between 2 squares for a tool whose handle is too big to fit through one of the hogwire squares (actually I might have to do that twice, but I'll still have extra spaces left over.

See, if I construct the horizontal square pieces first, then it doesn't matter if I mount the 4x4's inside their frames our outside, so I can decide that later.  This square piece will be the bottom one, sitting on the base, so I made it using 2x8 wood instead of 2x4, to add more weight to the bottom (so the whole thing will be less tippy).

In the end, I decided to mount the 4x4's on the outside by carving out space for the corners of my square bits.  See the carved out 4x4 on the left side.

I needed some hardware to continue, so I'll update later.


Update Aug. 9, 2020:  Whee!  I finished this up today.  And I protected it with linseed oil.




Little hinged shelf or work surface.


No comments:

Post a Comment