Sunday, July 19, 2020

Ending climate change

In my Soil Foodweb course, and in the books I'm reading like Dirt to Soil, and Restoration Agriculture, I'm learning about how it takes fungi in the soil (along with the bacteria) to hold moisture in the soil and nutrients as well.  I'm learning about how if farmers slightly altered how they graze animals, and stopped factory farming practices and grass-fed everything, we'd drastically reduce methane emissions.  And if farmers stopped plowing, we'd have pull more carbon out of the atmosphere and store it in the soil.  And stuff like that.  Like, one needs to think of methane, carbon, pollutants, etc. 
A friend sent me this quote, which adds to the picture that is slowly forming and taking on color in my mind.
"Water retention isn’t just important for agriculture, but in buffering the effects of climate change, Jones adds. She says it’s a scientific fact that water vapor accounts for 95% of the greenhouse effect that is causing climate change. “If we’re serious about reversing climate change we need to put the water back in the soil where it belongs,” Jones says. 
I just wanna remember it in case my brain is getting so full and anxious that something has to drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment