Thursday, April 16, 2020

Problem: Enough inoculant

I'm enrolled in the Soil Food Web lab and consultant program.  I'm learning a LOT.  For example, one of the highest priority items you need to regenerate soil is ... well, wait, there are 5 priority items, but one makes more difference than the others--adding biology.  Get the microbe populations up.  You need to feed them with organic matter, and once there's enough organic matter, and there are living roots in the soil year-round, their populations remain high, but in the first year or two, you need to apply microbes at least every 10 days.  That means adding an extract made from biologically complete compost (but it takes 6 months to make the compost), or adding purchased microbes like EM-1 and MycoGrow.  You can brew your own from scratch, and you should do that, so that you can have a wide variety of microbes, but I don't trust my brewing skills yet.

Microbes should be applied once per week.  I have a fricking acre.

That would mean, in the case of EM-1, "1 gallon of Activated EM-1 per acre per week".  $75 per week?!?
In the case of MycoGrow, 1 pound treats 1/10th of an acre, so I'd need 10 pounds.  That's $674 for one application.  I wouldn't want to apply the MycoGrow more than once or twice anyway, but seriously?!?
No way.

EM-1

At least you can multiply EM-1 yourself, though.  You can make 20 times the original quantity in 7-10 days.  That quantity needs to be used within 45-60 days, and if the pH rises above 3.8, it's gone bad.
So, what would that mean?  If I need a gallon per week.  1/20th of a gallon is 6.4oz, so I need, let's say, 8 oz per week ahead of time to brew 1 1/4 gallon.  Use 1 gallon, and that leaves 32 oz.
Take 16 oz to split between 2 batches (in case I blow it in one of them).  That leaves 16 oz leftover for adding to the compost pile.  That would work.  So, if I started the season with a purchase of a 16oz bottle, I'd be set, so long as I didn't mess anything up.  I'd also need a tonne of blackstrap molasses, and some airlocks and jugs.  Hmm.
  1. Split 16 oz to make 2 gallon batches.  
  2. When they're ready:
    • Use one gallon in the garden (dilute 1 oz per gallon of water).
    • Take 16 oz out of the other gallon to brew 2 new gallon batches.
    • Use the leftover 112 oz:
      • in the compost pit (dilute 2 tsp per gallon of water)
      • as a seed soak (probably an ounce per gallon)
      • as a folliar spray indoors and outdoors (2 Tbsp per gallon of water).
      • as a yard waste drench to speed up the breakdown of wood.
      • to water house plants.
  3. Repeat from step 2.  :)
There's only lactic acid bacteria in EM-1, though.  I don't want bacteria-dominated soil.  I want fungal-dominated soil.

MycoGrow

My soil seriously needs mycorrhizal fungi, and this is how I'd get it, guaranteed.  But, wow, it's expensive.  I don't even know how to multiple a batch.
Is it as simple as adding it to wood chips and waiting a year?  You can do that with other fungi (like the winecap mushrooms), but I think mycorrhizal fungi need living plant roots.
Bah!  I guess I'll have to keep doing what I'm doing, buying tiny amounts each time I go to the store, and using them appropriately.  I want them to spread the fungal hyphae fast throughout the yard.  Maybe I should concentrate my efforts to water the grass (and future living mulch plants) with MycoGrow, since the grass is, and will always be, there.  So the living roots will always be there.
Whoa!  I'm not the first person to ask how to make your own.
Holy crap!  The whole process is written up here: https://moldresistantstrains.com/diy-how-to-make-mycorrhizal-fungi-inoculant/#diy.  I could do the same as for EM-1: buy a small amount and propagate.

Brewing from scratch

I have a laundry list of other inoculants, like Jadam Microbial Solution.  None of these have mycorrhizal fungi, though.  I can use them when a batch of EM-1 goes bad, but I really need the fungi.  I guess I need to get my biologically-complete compost going.  Though, what kind of fungi grows in that?  There are fungal hyphae, but... are they the right kind?

Need to ask on the Soil Food Web forums.

My working goal

OK, my goal is to brew a perpetual cycle of EM-1 batches, and also buy different sources of mycorrhizal fungi and propagate those perpetually.  I'll need brewing equipment, space, and ingredients like molasses.  Diversity and volume!  Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment