Thursday, April 16, 2020

You really do have to hoe-lean

Steve Solomon was right.  Standing in the garden and leaning on your hoe is important!!  You (well, I) can't come up with solutions to problems unless you're out there.  Here are 2 things I pondered.

Kiwi placement
I have 2 kiwis in pots.  I can't figure out where to put them.  Darren won't let me frame the front door with them.  I could put the ugly bench with the trellis overhead out there somewhere and use that.  But where?

I was down in the 2 mirrored halves of my food forest area.  There's a walkway in-between.  Of course!!  Why not round a huge long piece of hogwire paneling over it.  The kiwi will grow to shade the walkway!  And there will be room for more!  
And I could do the same with the thornless blackberry I've already planted!  They're in the corners in the forefront of the image above.

Beds unfilled and no time
How big to make my terrace beds.  If they're too wide, I can't reach the middles.  Filling them will take forever.  

This narrow one didn't take long.  It's about 2.5 feet wide, and not even filled all the way.  But then there's a tonne of surface area used only as a path (grass right now). 
This one took forever to fill, and it's my shallowest bed!  :(  4 feet wide.  Can't reach the middle comfortably.
I want to get going right away on growing my veg.  What to do?

Oh!  I don't have to fill the beds before growing crops this year!  I don't even have to put down any material at all if Charlotte Anthony is right.  I just need microbes.

Gradually, I'll work towards this kind of design.  The orange lines frame mini-beds within the major bed, with footpaths between.  Now and then, have a hogwire trellis for peas and squash (the blue lines).
Hmm.  It just occurred to me that I could just have one long row, parallel to the terrace.  Duh.

I only wish I had time and resources to make living willow trellis.  I suppose I can have that in progress underneath!!

It was recalling this image from Pinterest, which helped me find these solutions.  (So I guess you need to mix hoe-leaning with book learning.  I think I've said that before.)
Hmm.  Maybe I don't need expensive hogwire.

No comments:

Post a Comment