Thursday, November 26, 2020

Final redesign of terraces (and any other borders and retaining walls)

I think I'm missing a blog post.  I feel like I wrote this already.  Oh well.

I'm going to redo the retaining walls of the terraces yet again.  This time, I'm going to use this method with the wood, because of the following reasons:

  • You can easily replace pieces over time.
  • You can make things look more tidy, by having the tops all level.
  • Logs are still a free resource.
  • The spaces between don't prevent drainage and they provide habitat.
The downside is, rodents and slugs.  However, I want a rodent population to bring back the rat snake population.  Also, slugs should be taken care of when I finally get the soil microbiome healthy (theoretically).


Maybe I can fix the slug issue by growing something on top like this:


As for the size of the rows, I now know I want more rows of narrower width, because I don't like having to reach so far, and most of the soil ends up being covered by vines anyway so why not let the vines cover pathways.

As for the layout, I need to do some research on water management techniques of indigenous peoples and in permaculture practices.  I doubt I'd have much water to redirect, at least on the surface.  The bigger problem is infiltration, so I'll focus on that.  Some interesting experiments are coming out of India in that regard.


Oh!  And on the uphill side of the rows, I'll hem in with a narrow width of wood chips.  I tested that out last year, and it was excellent!  You can shape any retaining border that you want!

I do need to consider how to handle trellises and cold frames, though.  I'm sure I can just sit the frames on soil on top of the logs, and on the wood chips on the other side.  I've gotta make cold frames with built-in holders for the trellises and removable glass tops.

Time to get out my chainsaw!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment