Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Work log: Terrace and piles of branches

Today, our lawn guy came by to help.  He was amazing!!  He took my chainsaw and his machete and demolished ALL of the piles of branches so that they're in smaller pieces and flattened.  They're ready to spread a little and then start dumping on the raw horse manure (to make them break down faster by balancing the carbon to nitrogen ratio).
While he did that, I worked on the last terrace row (marking it with wood), tidied up, laid out cardboard, and started dumping barrows of compost on the top-most terrace.  I need it to be ready SOON!!  It's gonna be my first annual veg bed.  At the ends, I have 2 thornless blackberry, and will have a bunch of sunchokes (both perennials).  I wanna do that to cap the ends.  Once I get some perennial kales, I'll put them there too.  I also need a nursery bed for all of my cuttings, but that can be any material (even raw manure), but deep enough for the pots.
I recently discovered that I could drive to the local compost maker (1 mile away), have them fill my trailer for $20, and bring it home to dump it at the top of the slope.  It's laborious to unload it, and even more so to haul barrows to the beds, but MAN!  It certainly is less labor-intensive than manually loading the trailer at the horse property (where I can't even park the trailer next to the compost bins--I have to toss shovel-fulls over a fence).
Here's a pic of the results of today.  It looks SO TIDY and like it's coming together!!!

This is the 4th redesign of the terraces, and you know what?  It was worth it.  They're starting to look amazing.
I hope our lawn guy can come back and help soon.  And maybe help with getting all of the horse poop.  I want to rent a dump trailer and try to get all of the horse poop in one day, and perhaps even a couple loads of compost from the local maker.  The compost makers double-cook their compost (hot then warm) and double-sieve.  It's at least a year old by the time they sell it.  They're awesome.  So if I could get a dump trailer for a day, I could get one or two loads of compost without using any physical labor to get it to the top of the hill.  The only labor would be in loading it at the horse property.  I'm trying to convince the owner to dismantle a section of the fence so that we can get the trailer close.  I don't think she can picture what I'm saying, so I'll see her on the weekend to explain it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment