Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Solution! Seed starting location

I've been feeling the pressure to start seeds in flats.  I had set up a rolling rack on the covered porch, but it's freaking cold out there.  Plus the cats get through my clear plastic sides.  I had considered setting it up in my basement office, but I'd still need warming pads, and I'd have to clean up and rearrange everything.  I thought of putting them outside under row covers, and, well, maybe.  Still might be too cold, but it would solve the light problem (if you grow your seedlings indoors in a window, they lean towards the light and are spindly from too few hours of light).  If I grow them in my office I need more lights.
So with all this in mind (need more light, top-down light, warmth, cat-proof, I looked at our skylights today and realized they were prime real estate!!
Voila!  Using the 3M Command Velcro Picture Hangers (18 pound capacity), I scavenged around the garage and found angle brackets, T brackets, and wood, and set up shelf space enough for 4 flats.  I have a third skylight in the same location, and 2 each in 2 other locations (though one location might be wayyy too hot).  Total number of possible flats: 14!!  I'll just start with the 4 to see if it works.  Next year, I might try a design with a pulley system.  :D

Update: April 16th, 2020.  There's moisture showing up in one of the three skylights.  We think it's because there are 2 trays, so a LOT of water to evaporate.  I'll have to fix that.

No comments:

Post a Comment