Saturday, February 1, 2020

Don't rely on one teacher or source of info!

I learned that lesson today.

I was watching a course on Udemy.com, Seed Starting Simplified: Grow your own garden seedlings.  The teacher gardens in Utah.  He said that he couldn't start his seeds in natural light because they always, without fail, became leggy, and he had to turn them all the time to make sure they grew straight up.  So he prefers a fluorescent light.

But in Charles Dowding's YouTube video, Propagation: germinate, grow and plant seedlings for a long season of bigger harvests, you can see that NONE of his seedlings are leggy, and no artificial light is used.  However, as a parenthetical, Charles mentioned that some of his tomato seedlings (grown on his windowsill) were leggy, but that you could prick them out and bury the stem in a new cell or pot to correct the legginess.  (WOW!)

Anyhoo, by seeing these two videos, I realized that natural light is fine if it's 180 degrees of exposure, not just 90 degrees.  I mean, that's my guess.  I posted the following comment on Charles Dowding's video:
Charles, around minute 12:30, you mention the legginess of starts grown in the windowsill.  I was watching a video by someone in the US who said they always get leggy starts if they rely on natural light, and so they use a fluorescent light placed as close to the seedling as possible, raising the light as the seedling grows.  But your starts in the greenhouse are not leggy!  Is that because they get light on all sides?  Or would it be the intensity of the light or the length of the day that makes the difference for you?  I looked up the latitude of the US videocaster, and he's around 39.323742° N.  You're at about 51.1477° N.  Not sure what that means for light angle or length of day....
I hope he replies.

Update:  He replied!!  Why is that so rewarding?  Anyhoo, he said:
At 51 latitude, our winter light levels are poor. Also it's a dull climate.  Legginess is a separate issue, because windowsill seedlings in any climate/latitude will draw towards the light they need more of.  Greenhouse plants are sturdy because light is all around.  I prefer slower growth in the cooler greenhouse, or using the hotbed or any kind of warmth in there.
I replied, laying out my plan to try putting my starts under our skylights.

No comments:

Post a Comment