Monday, April 13, 2020

Work log: Compost pits

Finally!!  My neighbors wanna give me their yard waste, so that lit a fire under my ass.
I built these yesterday (April 12th, 2020).  I had to level the ground with a pick-ax.  That's my new favorite tool!!  You can do anything with it!  Forget grub hoes.
I used all the terracing block we had left from.the previous owner in odd spots.  Thank goodness we had it.
A couple months ago, I treated all of the pallets with raw linseed oil.  They look like they'll last a while.
I anticipate runoff through the holes in the blocks so I put a verticle layer of rotted wood chips between the blocks and the soil.  That has worked well in the wood terraces.  Once roots colonize the wood chips, that should stop most runoff.
Smashed my finger, though.  It's purple and puffy now.

In carving out some soil, I got some good pics of the clay and silt layers under the 4" of soil.
I also found 2 sprouted walnut seedlings and moved them near to the other walnut sapling next to the A/C unit.  Thank you, squirrels!!

Wow!  What a great start!  The neighbors dropped this off.

No comments:

Post a Comment