Thursday, April 23, 2020

Timely videos from Charles Dowding

Woke up, puttered, and saw these on Instagram. The information could not have been more timely!

I've been agonizing over dreading the labor of growing seeds in flats, then potting on, then transplanting.  Also, small cells piss me off, but Charles says seeds like to be close together.  I notice his seedlings come out easily though.  His cells aren't much longer than their diameter, and maybe that's why.
- Can do 4 or 5 chard per cell if you want small leaves, 2 for large leaves to cook with.
- He sows indoors everything except carrots and parsnips.  I wonder if I could do carrots in slitted water bottles to protect the tap root.
- He favors sowing crowded and pricking out early.
- He pots-on sometimes thrice.
- Once they're big, you don't want to firm in the soil (when potting on) as much as you do in the first-stage modules.  That'll restrict root growth a bit.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_R-FLcp6Hr/?igshid=1x0y4q896234

Wow, I'm shocked at how early I can plant outside, how closely you can put things together, and how long I can cover lettuces and beets with.  Man, I'm so behind on lettuces and beets.
- Beets, 4 per cell, sow indoors 2/20, transplanted outdoors under fleece mid-March, and remove fleece in late April.
- He puts them out a foot apart diagonally!
- When decided whether to stagger your sowing (to provide a longer harvest window), you don't really need to do that with multi-sown plants.  You just pick the smallest ones when you want.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_UbEo_Ja38/?igshid=19m20dv9qonwg

No comments:

Post a Comment