Friday, January 3, 2020

Inoculating my yard with a wide array of diverse microbes

This post is just an excuse to post a bunch of really cool photos.  I've been collecting woody material from neighbors who respond to my request on Nextdoor.  I'm bringing in a huge, diverse population of microbes this way, from property owners who swear they have not used biocides.




Yes, there were some termite-like or carpenter ant larvae in some of the piles I went to collect, and I turned those down (they seemed to be only at the properties where you could tell that biocides were indeed used), but just in case I have missed a few, I have purchased predatory nematodes from Arbico Organics and I'll be inoculating with them as soon as the snow melts.  I'll be careful to inoculate the nematodes together with fungi and bacteria so that I don't unbalance the soil food web.  (Unbalance it, and you risk populations of beneficial microbes dying off and bad microbes moving in.)

No comments:

Post a Comment